Recap by Mark and company:
Basically we killed every last cultist and beast man and then told everyone it was actually Lord Aschaffenberg by himself for some dumb reason, so there goes our shot at renown. On the way back in the town of [Someshit], Murk got very frisky all of a sudden and Ariana didn’t deal well but actually we found a bunch of shady shit he was packing and had to anesthetize him so he wouldn’t blab, so actually good call on shoving him against a wall and threatening him in the middle of a crowded bar. A great day for the party.
Later that night, a man who possessed either tree-like attributes or a large, portable tree to hide behind talked to Ariana in her head. At the same time, Kvothe found a dead woman and it seemed like a bunch of people had lost their memories. I don’t think we quite made the connection at the time but THE SAME DAMN THING HAPPENED TO US GUYS WHY DID WE HAVE TO WAIT TO BE TOLD THAT WHAT anyway
We got to the city and the demon hunters were all ‘we gotta summon this demon to kill it, sorry guys only way’, so they summoned the shittiest demon in existence and two of his shitty friends. Like the demons who teased all the time because they like Yu-Gi-Oh or something. They were no trouble.
Anyways afterwards we bumper into a dude who was very happy to see Arminius and Ariana but gave no shits about the dwarf or the wizard, probably because they’re both interminable fucks. But! When he found out we’d lost our memories he was like ‘Welp sorry guys guess you’re gonna die was great seeing you again except for you dwarf and you wizard’. It was pretty clear that we were the victims of this guy … Or perhaps one of his more arboreal kin.
We went and talked to Lord Aschaffenberg’s wife, and she was Not Very Interesting (read: it was like 2am and we were tired and I can’t remember her saying anything even remotely significant, except that her cousin had occult interests). Giles went off to talk to some dwarves about learning a trade.
Points of interest:
- Magdelena the witch huntress seemed like a hardass bitch and after we were done with the shitty demons went off to the Lodge to make sure there was no more shady shit. If we keep getting ourselves into Chaotic, chaotic situations, I suspect we’ll cross paths with her again, but for now we’re in her good books for murdering demons while she was lying in a dazed heap on the floor.
- The Chemist. After the whole cultist thing shook out, a very strange thing was discovered in the woods – by god, it looks like the skin of the doctor’s niece who was asleep in the room! By god, the door to her room has been blown open with great magical force! By god, someone observed magic around her! The implications are clear – either the disembodied innards of a young girl are walking around creeping everyone out, or our great nemesis was under our nose all along. As for what he’s doing now, fuck knows – he also seems to be unconnected to the Slender Tree thus far, but considering he captured us all and was there with us when we came to three years later, I’m sure he has not disappeared from our lives yet. There was also a seemingly unrelated figure known as the Chemist living in a northern city, but I don’t remember any details, so someone please fill us in.
- Lady Von Bruner (wife of our former employer) possesses a flower that is known to be useful in curing amnesia if prepared properly, and if I recall knows where to get more in the required amounts. Unfortunately the potion knocks you out for a couple of days (it’s got schlaff in it) and, if we’re to believe the man who told us we were all gonna get killed soon, we’re kind of on the clock, not to mention the political melting pot the city appears to be fast becoming. Nevertheless, we may decide to pursue that option.
- we could return to the town of [Someshit] and investigate our Happy Tree Friend, though I suspect that no-one in the town’s going to be any help, considering the memory loss going on there. It’s a potential lead.
- we can continue chasing leads from our own lives – this other Chemist is only one or two degrees of separation away from some of our party members, and well, the name is curious. Wouldn’t quite know where to start with that one though.
- We could forget about all the shit goin on and just look for a job. That seemed to bear fruit for us last time.
We also convinced Lord Aschafenberg to give us a piece of paper saying we’re awesome, and we’re sort of working for him as of now. He is one of three nobles who could potentially become the ruler of Ubersreik in the near future, and since we totally made him sound like a badass because of our heroic actions at the lodge, he looks to be a likely candidate.
Also Stefan von Hell was an agent of the Witchhunters who went by the codename Chemist about a decade ago. He runs a Bright Order club called The Brimstone Club in Auerswald, which is the town in which we all got ourselves captured by the new!Chemist and lost three years of our lives in. So we could visit him, I guess.
Also, Kvoth met another fire wizard who said some mildly intersting shit. And Graille is chilling in the Shallyan hospice. The piece of paper said that the artifacts the party is carrying are meant for distruction, and that we were carrying out that task for Lord Aschaffenberg.